Longlands, Holkham Hall Estate, Holkham
The Longlands complex is a Grade II* listed building constructed in the 1850’s as a base for the building trades which supported the activities of the Holkham Estate. These trades included carpenters, glaziers, blacksmiths, masons and wheelwrights and their respective workshop buildings, which have largely, remain unchanged
Following undertaking a detailed measured building survey back in 2011 we began Phase 1 of the re-development, which equated to about 1000m2, in the early part of 2014. The proposal was to convert the majority of the buildings to office use.
The client already had a tenant committed to move in November 2014; therefore the project had a very tight deadline. To meet this deadline, construction started almost at the same time as the detailed design, therefore the building contract was agreed under a negotiated management contract with the main contractor.
As well as the structural design of the converted buildings and remediation of them, Phase 1 also included the entire infrastructure for all phases of the development. Our work here included:
- New access road and 100 space car park
- Procurement of 240kW Ground Source Heat Pump installation
- Procurement and management of a new 750kVA electricity supply and 800kVA substation
- Managment of a new 100MB Broadband Connection
- Procurement of New Water supply
- New Storm Water Drainage Design
- New Foul Water drainage including Sewage Treatment Plant and Draingage Field Design
- New Plant Room design
- New Comm.'s Room design
Phase 1 has won a number of awards including:
- 28th April 2016 - Winner of ‘Best Refurbished/Recycled Workplace’ for Regional British Council for Offices Award
- 24th September 2015 - highly commended in the CPRE Norfolk’s Askham Award
- August 2015 - Runner up in Rural Business Awards 2015
- 6th May 2015 - Winner in the Commercial Category in the RICS Awards 2015, East of England
Phase 2, which comprises of 850m2 of buildings to be converted into more offices, is now well under way with the same Design Team and Construction Team. Phase 2 started in March 2016, and has sectional handovers up until completion in early 2017.
Measured Building Survey, Structural Design, Contract Admin, Project Management